I don't want to be perfect, just better...

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Singletary Says: Short on Cash? Invest in the Relationship

I read Michelle Singletary's The Color of Money everyweek.



I am a huge fan. I know many deride her for her simplistic method to saving and her aversion to debt - all debt. Her aversion is justified. Why would anyone want to beholden to someone else?



Well this week her column really hit home. I have been racking my brain for a Valentine's present for hubby. This is our first one as a married couple. Tomorrow makes five months we have been married. I thought about all the things he needs. I love to give practical presents. Something I know people will get a lot of usage. I thought about a new cell phone, I broke the nicer one. I thought about an mp3 player. He is the only one in the house who doesn't have one. I thought about his favorites. He loves watches like I love handbags. I thought about his favorite football team. A man with seven Eagles jerseys doesn't need another one. He has plenty of clothing.



I can't give my husband a gift card.



So needless to say I have been stuck on what to get him and what we should do. To make the situation even worse he has to work Valentine's night.



We had decided we would celebrate Valentine's later or earlier. Possibly Wednesday night but I hate going to the movies. I think of the cost and cringe. Besides we went to see Not Easily Broken about a week ago.

I have decided to kick in all my creative juices. I will organize a fun date for us for cheap if not free. (This is Still No Spending Month).

Any ideas? What are some frugal dates you have had?

No comments:

Post a Comment