I don't want to be perfect, just better...

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Whip It Up Wednesday







Ro*Tel. Have you heard of it? Ever used it? Ro-tel is really just diced tomatoes and green chilies in a can. I have used it as an all purpose meal starter.





Our favorite way to use it is in the Queso Dip.





The Queso Dip is basically a can of Ro-tel and a package of Velveeta.





We kick it up to a full meal by adding 3/4 lb. of ground beef or turkey. If you have left over beans (especially red or white ones) use those. It will give your dip a cheesy chili flavor.





Other add-ins I have tried include spinach, or other leaf type vegetables. I used bacon instead of ground meat.


I have even chopped green beans into 1/4 inch pieces and threw those in as well. You can overload this dish with vegetables and the kids won't even notice under the cheese.





I prefer to use the slow cooker to melt everything together. My friend, Becca uses the microwave. Others I know use the stove top.

Preparation:
Brown ground beef/turkey in a pan on the stove.
Chop block of Velveeta into one inch cubes.
Combine one can of Ro-tel(I like mine chunky and prefer two cans), ground beef/turkey, Velveeta, and add-ins of your choice into your cooking method to melt.

Cooking times vary by method; they range from five minutes in the microwave to ten minutes on the stove top to thirty minutes in the slow cooker.

Try it either as an appetizer or a meal, let me know how you like the results. Serve with tortilla chips, blue corn is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment