I don't want to be perfect, just better...

Monday, August 24, 2009

Selling Product and the high pressure sales tactics

You have heard me espouse on my obsession on earning extra income from speculating on the cost per pan of selling brownies at the local gas station to my own struggles to launch a small research and virtual assistant business.

I have invited others to share the ways that they earn from my good buddy the Avon rep, Brandy to my fellow blogger Brandie the Free Sample Freak use of paid surveys to boost her income.

I respect people who can sell things because I know this is not one of my skills. However because I am friendly and well spoken people often mistake my friendliness for the ability to sell. I have been approached by people in the past who would like me to sale on their team or their product.

This last pitch came after I was in Chicago for the White House Town Hall event. One of the participants emailed me an 'opportunity'.

I received a link via email that played a video with the whole work for yourself spiel. Since I didn't respond to the first three emails I was busy. I was sent a fourth email (in five days) with this message:

Hi Spendthrift,

Well, I'm a little surprised you haven't taken the virtual tour.

I'm personally benefiting from one of the most proven, respected, and lucrative home businesses available... and the impact it can have on you and your lifestyle is nothing short of astonishing.

Look, I do understand that you're busy.In fact, I can think of many occasions when I've come home after a long day, too tired and mentally stressed to do much of anything either...

But if that's the case Spendthrift - believe it or not - that's even more of a reason to see what this company is all about. The opportunity I wanted to share with you can give you more free time, more freedom to do the things you enjoy.


There are more people making full-time income... starting with a just a part-time commitment... than you can imagine. Plus, we have all of the tools, resources, and training in place... so you don't need an ounce of business experience to succeed.

We even have a fully automated Internet system you can tap into as well.

Do me a favor... take 15 minutes and check this out! I think you'll see why I (and my team) are so excited.

If you want to call or email me with questions, feel free. I'm happy to help.


This video was for Pre-Paid Legal Services. This is one of the reasons I am not good with sales. While I believe in applying pressure; I don't believe in dogging someone. Four emails in five days is too much for me.

This much pressure to watch a video (four emails in five days). It is the type of pressure that I instinctively avoid. If there is this much pressure to sale the product and no matter what the video says it is a product to sell.

I actually like the product and at one time seriously thought about purchasing a plan.

Does this type of pressure turn you off as well? Have you ever sold Pre Paid Legal? Would you be willing to sale this service?

I found this article to help you and me avoid High Pressure Sales Tactics.

Here are the basic tenets:

Remain In Command at All Times
This is your home and you’ve invited them – you should take command of this visit. Allow him/her to demonstrate the product, but don’t be afraid to ask questions and try it out. Never allow a salesperson to make you feel intimidated in any way.

Stop The pressure Tactics Early
A foot in the door, an arrogant tone, increased voice volume, a hint of anger, or a total disregard to your comment “I’m sorry, I’m not interested”, all signal that there is more pressure coming. Find a way of ending the conversation, it will only get worst from here. The longer they persist – the harder it is to end it

Set a Time Frame For The Demonstration
If you're interested in a demonstration, insist on knowing up front, how long it will take and allow a reasonable time. Once the set time has expired, wind down the conversation, you need time on your own to think about the purchase. If the hint is not taken, proceed to ‘exit’ mode and end the visit. Ask for a business card and product information, and say that you’ll contact them if interested. If a courteous, firm demand for them to leave fails, call for assistance from your local constabulary.


As further help against the high pressure sales tactic; know these tips that sales people learn that are designed to pull you in and help them close the sale.

Learn the Non-verbal Sales Technique: When you meet someone face-to-face, 93% of how you are judged is based on non-verbal data - your appearance and your body language. Only 7% is influenced by the words that you speak. A good sales technique is to remember people do judge a book by its cover. When your initial encounter is over the phone, 70% of how you are perceived is based on your tone of voice and 30% on your words. It's not what you say - it's the way that you say it.


Choose Your First 12 Words: Although research shows words make up a mere 7% of what people think of you in a one-on-one encounter, don't leave them to chance. Express some form of thank you when you meet the client. Perhaps, it is "Thank you for taking your time to see me today" or "Thank you for joining me for lunch." Clients appreciate you when you appreciate them.


Use Their Name Immediately: Another forgotten sales technique is to remember there is no sweeter sound than that of our own name. When you use the client 's name in conversation within your first twelve words and the first seven seconds, you are sending a message that you value that person and are focused on him. Nothing gets other people's attention as effectively as calling them by name.


Pay Attention to Your Hair: Your clients will. In fact, they will notice your hair and face first. Putting off that much-needed haircut or color job might cost you the deal. Don't let a bad hair day cost you the connection.


Shiny Shoes Sales Technique: People will look from your face to your feet. If your shoes aren't well maintained, the client will question whether you pay attention to other details. Shoes should be polished as your sales technique. They may be the last thing you put on before you walk out the door, but they are often the first thing your client notices.


Walk Fast: A faster walker can be perceived as important and energetic - just the kind of person your clients want to do business with. Pick up the pace and walk with purpose if you want to impress.

So even after I turn down the opportunity to sell Pre-Paid Legal Services; he was asking me to 'refer' my friends who might be interested in the opportunity. Don't they ever quit?

No comments:

Post a Comment