I don't want to be perfect, just better...

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tightwad Tuesday: Amy Dacyczyn

For those who don't know Amy Dacyzyn is the Godmother or the First Lady of Frugality. She voluntarily left her job as a graphic designer to stay at home with her children in the early or mid 1980's. She produced a newsletter called The Tightwad Gazette that took frugality to new levels. The Gazette became famous leading to appearances on talk shows and book deals. The three books are really just compilations of the newsletter. Which ended in

I first read The Tightwad Gazette in book form in 2003 or 2004. I love the books, I re-read one over the weekend which gave me a renewed interest in reducing my intake.


Out of this book, I learned to bake my breakfast muffins at night when I cooked dinner.

The first frugal thing I did after 'skimming' the book was the homemade flavored rice mix. I had completely given up Rice-A-Roni, Uncle Ben's and the others for about two years. I made a small batch of the rice mix a couple weeks ago. As the holidays approach; I am thinking of making a few jars for presents.

These books are frugal primers for those who have never had to cut back.





Have you ever heard of Amy Dacyzyn? What was the first frugal thing you learned? Have you always been frugal?

Leave a comment that tells of us of your frugal history.


No comments:

Post a Comment