I don't want to be perfect, just better...

Sunday, October 25, 2009

National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo

I have had a dream since I was twelve to be the next V.C. Andrews or some other equally prolific writer like Mercedes Lackey or R.A. Salvatore. Of course life gets in the way of that dream.

I keep saying one day I will flesh out the story lines I have rambling around in my head. I will find the perfect world for those renegade personalities that live in my head.

In 2007 I literally ran into NaNoWriMo. Someone left a summary on the Metro and I almost tripped over it. I read it and was intrigued but I put it out of my mind. Then in the way these things happen when you ignore a sign the universe is sending to you; I saw the NaNoWriMo name in a book I was reading. I also had it mentioned to me in an email by a writing buddy I used to have.

I took the plunge and pounded out 40, 000+ words of a novel. It wasn't the next great American novel but it was pretty good because I didn't have time to over think what I was writing. I just wrote.

The purpose of NaNoWriMo is to stop making excuses and just get the words on the page. Last year I didn't make the time but this year is all about doing it.

From the NaNoWriMo site:

"National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30."


I encourage you to join me if you have ever thought about writing the great American novel.
I feel that I need to do this. All the new characters I have created in my head are trying to push out some of the older characters that have taken up residency. I don't think I will be able to fully empty out the space in my brain that they are controlling but

Every character needs page time.


You can sign up at http://www.nanowrimo.org/ . If you decide to join, email me directly and I will give you my NaNoWriMo user name so that we can be writing buddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment