I don't want to be perfect, just better...

Thursday, November 19, 2009

TV Thursday: 100 Mile Challenge





I am in love with the idea of the 100 Mile Challenge. Never heard of the 100 Mile Challenge?


The 100 Mile Challenge was conceived by Alisa Smith and J.B. MacKinnon, who themselves in 2005 begin eating only foods that were grown within 100 miles. They challenged themselves to do it for one year.  Their 100 Mile Diet has spread.


Now as I said I am in love with the idea of the 100 Mile challenge but I don't think I could I successfully do it. One family quit on Day One which was disheartening to see they didn't even try. I love seasonings and rice and sugar and coffee and bananas and so much more. 


Other reasons I am not sure I could commit:


Many on the show have said that the time factor for preparing food was a full time job. I know my love of the crock pot would help.


Also many on the show talked about having to drive far to find products.


There were upsides, most of the participants lost weight during the 100 days. The most was 42 pounds.


I saw one episode were the Hawes family was having turkey and cranberry burgers. I am so making one of those.




If you would like to see video of the 100 Mile Challenge go here to Planet Green.


What would you grow in your garden? Me, I would grow onions, garlic, bell peppers, potatoes, sweet potatoes or yams to start.


Have you ever heard of the 100 Mile Challenge? Would you participate in the 100 Mile Challenge? Are you a eater of local foods? Do you shop at the local Farmer's Market? Do you read the labels to see where you foods are being produced? Do you grow your own foods? 


Leave comments on your chances of completing the 100 Mile Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment