I don't want to be perfect, just better...

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Six Months in...My Makeup Journey

Remember my post, Look the Part, where I realized I was stuck in a rut - look wise.  I was wearing maybe 25 pieces of clothing (jeans, shirts, sweaters) to work and had a very casual almost negative attitude about work and my job search to get away from work.

I decided to change that and I have made great strides. (Well in my own mind.)

I have been wearing more dresses. Actually thinking about what I wear instead of just putting on the things that need the least amount of ironing. Accessorizing more with layers, belts and scarves to have a complete look. Dressing to fit my body shape instead of just dressing to have clothes on my back.

I have even went so far as to buy the most expensive single piece of clothing I have ever purchased, the Monif C. Marilyn Convertible Dress. I loooove this dress and am so glad I finally broke down and got it.
Me in Monif C.'s Marilyn Convertible Dress

I have also become a makeup junkie - wearing some form of makeup everyday from a simple lip gloss and eyeliner to a full face with requisite tricolored or quad colored smoky eyeshadow look.

I pointed out to the Hubbster and on Twitter that I noticed that some of the other women at work have changed their dressing habits as well. A couple have "confessed" they are trying to keep up with Me! (I know, WTF? Me?)

Yeah, it was disconcerting at first to come into the office and see someone wearing an outfit similar to what I wore the day or week before. I have adjusted now so I try to take it in stride and move on to the next thing.

Believe it or not, clothing isn't the only thing I have noticed changing on the ladies at work. I have also noticed that they are adopting makeup into their looks.

I at first thought maybe I was just being paranoid. Then I put my memory to work.

This month I will have been in my current position for two years. I could count on three fingers the times I have seen some of these women in makeup at work and after work. Now foundation, eyeshadow and lipstick are becoming regular sights around the office.

I ran it by OKBF and she said it succinctly "You have made them step their game up." Really? That wasn't my intention, it was to "step" my own game up.

28 Neutral Color Eyeshadow PaletteAnyway, I was on the phone with OKBF telling her how I had spent the Visa gift card she had sent me for my birthday last week.

I found a pair of rain boots with the expanders in the calf in white with a graffiti pattern for $16.99 at AJ Wright. *Something I have been wanting but wouldn't buy for myself.* 

I bought the Coastal Scents 28 Neutral Palette since I couldn't get the Urban Decay Naked Palette Naked Palette. When we started talking about how gung ho I have become about makeup.

I realized it has been six months since I got "serious" about the image I was projecting. But makeup has become more than a way to 'dress' up my look. It has become 20 minutes a day that I focus on me.

Not on the Hubbster or the kids or the untidyness of the house or how draining graduate school is or work or my unsuccessful new job search or my weight or health issues.

It is just me and the mirror. Those 20 minutes a day has given me a new appreciation of ME, because I focus on my face I have begin seeing myself the way I truly am.

Not the way I saw myself before under the layers of criticism for being overweight and black and outspoken and all the other stuff when these things aren't popular. I don't point out my flaws anymore because I realized "my flaws" were me comparing myself to others and finding myself short. I still see slight imperfections but I don't consider them "flaws".

Who knew wearing makeup would do so much for ME?

5 comments:

  1. As much as I want a Monif convertible dress, I can't bring myself to spend that much for it. Especially when I think about my kid's tuition bill, utilities, rent, etc. Maybe one day I'll have money to burn like that. For now I'll stick to what I have in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Monif dress and have wanted one for a while (over two years) but like you the price put me off and off again. I saved for a few months to make that purchase happen. Do what I plan on doing for my next one - tell everyone (family, coworkers, etc) that all you want for Christmas or birthday is the dress. Have them chip in $20-$25 dollars a piece and viola! (You really only need ten people to kick in $25!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Reads4Pleasure I love the Monif dress and have wanted one for a while (over two years) but like you the price put me off and off again. I saved for a few months to make that purchase happen. Do what I plan on doing for my next one - tell everyone (family, coworkers, etc) that all you want for Christmas or birthday is the dress. Have them chip in $20-$25 dollars a piece and viola! (You really only need ten people to kick in $25!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, if only I was fortunate enough to receive gifts, lol. My family stops giving gifts once you're officially grown (21). Maybe once I get this kid out of high school AND college I'll be able to splurge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn! I'll start the @Reads4Pleasure Buy her A @monifcplussizes Marilyn dress. I got $20 for you. We just need nine more people to chip in.

    ReplyDelete