I don't want to be perfect, just better...

Sunday, December 5, 2010

#Reverb10 Day 5

Prompt: Let Go. What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why?


Anyone who knows me knows that I am difficult to be friends with...not that I'm not a good friend, I am. Ask OKBF, we are 17/18 years in. However, I will hold someone in my life to the same accountability that I hold myself. 


People who aren't used to honest reflection and having someone hold them accountable to their words and look for matching actions - cannot stand to be around me. 


On top of that I have a two strikes rule. My patience is short and I learned early in life to cut those of negative influence out. My family on both sides is riddled with alcoholics and drug addicts, liars and thieves. I have relatives I haven't spoken to in years, one particular relative is going on a decade of silence. 


My family thinks I'm too harsh to them because I am intolerant of their behavior. 


I think why do you want to skate through life on someone else's accomplishments. How many times are you going to repeat the same behavior thinking it will bear out different results for you?


I think how many chances do you need to get something right? 


Maybe it is because I realized that God/Creator/Allah/Buddha/Elohim whatever you want to call him/her/it/they/them  will keep putting you in the same situation until the life lesson that is being taught to you is learned and more importantly mastered. 


I know plenty of people who haven't progressed in all the years I have known them. They work the same type of job, live the same type of life and never seem to progress forward. They spend a lot of time beseeching God/Creator/Allah/Buddha/Elohim for change but never seem to realize the change they want is because they haven't worked on themselves or realized the life lessons as they are presented to them.  


Yes, God/Creator/Allah/Buddha/Elohim will provide you with the opportunity but you have to make the most of what is provided. If you beg off each opportunity because you are afraid to take a chance, stop calling on God/Creator/Allah/Buddha/Elohim.


I have rambled but what I have let go of this year is trying to teach/educate those who aren't ready to change. I have spent many an hour on the phone, chatting over coffee (or something stronger) with people  trying to help them realize that change comes from within not from without. The change that does come from without is a harsh, cruel demanding change that is meant to break your spirit not feed your soul.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this post hit home because I am the same way. I have learned the hard way through losing loved ones that life is short. I usually decide quickly if something/someone is worth my while and then act accordingly. I am polite to everyone but only engage those I find authentic and interesting. This has ONLY been problematic when I am grouped with people who are not growth-oriented. For me the past 4 years has been divided between self-employment and an office type work setting. In an office I tend to be viewed as too quiet, aloof, boring or even stuck-up, I'm never part of the 'in' group (tragedy!). The opposite was true among the self-employed, I made more connections and friends than I ever did at 'work' and it was effortless. People who aren't afraid to be themselves make others uncomfortable, but life is too short to be anyone else. This is step one of reaching any goal, you can't be worried about what other people will say, most of them just want to justify their own lack of direction and ambition. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Pressuremt "growth oriented" is the perfect descriptor for people who are actively trying to grow and the others could be called "fun oriented" or stagnant.

    Thanks for stopping by the blog.

    ReplyDelete