I don't want to be perfect, just better...

Thursday, March 31, 2011

TV Thursday Or What I'm Watching

I hate to say this but sometimes I fail miserably at one of my personal goals which is to reduce my television consumption. I am a lover of the scripted drama. Hour long drama with long story arcs just do it for me. My all time favorite television show is The Wire with its almost Dickensian layering of stories on top of stories on top of stories and how they eventually collide in a fire bomb of a situation is what I love. If I can't get angry and have my heart broken, want to cry and laugh in the same episode then I almost don't want to watch it.

Here is a breakdown of what I can't get enough of and what I'm looking forward to:

Sunday Nights is chock full of good tv watching. On Showtime, I am loving Shameless. Which unfortunately/fortunately just had its season finale.

Also on Sunday night is A&E's Breakout Kings which had me and most of the Twitterverse looking for a heart monitoring devices when they resurrected the character of Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell from Fox's Prison Break. If you don't know T-Bag I suggest a Prison Break marathon the next time the weather turns or you are sick at home. Breakout Kings has another The Wire alum Domenick Lombardozzi or as I call him in my head - Cool Herc.

I'm looking forward to the return of Treme on April 24th on HBO for season two. (More alums of The Wire)

Later in the year I'll be anxiously waiting for AMC's The Walking Dead and Showtime's Dexter.


Monday nights - Mike & Molly, I only watched at first episode to see what the drama was about but then I realized the "Molly" character is played by Melissa McCarthy. She also played Sookie on Gilmore Girls. I wanted to show my support for her. However the show is completely funny and features Swoosie Kurtz (Pushing Daisies, Sisters). Perfect light hearted fare for recovering from the first day of the work week.


Tuesday nights I would give up everything for The Good Wife. I have raved about my love for this show before. This is one of the best scripted dramas on network television - hands down. I almost wish it was on cable so I didn't have to watch those damn pesky commercials. I love how lately, cast members from The Wire have been making appearances.

Wednesday night is all about FX's Justified. Justified is similar to USA's In Plain Sight but grittier (much grittier) and based in Kentucky.

Is there anything on Thursday? Friday? Saturday?

Tell me what you are watching.


1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Later I'll do a similar blog post and link yours.

    First of all, The Wire is one of the best drama series ever. Its layering of storylines draw in watchers of every race, genre, and background. I'm still hoping for a follow-up film in theatres (along with The Sopranos). The cast of The Wire is valued by every network; hence, their frequent appearances. I love to see their faces again!

    Here is a weekly lineup of what I'm watching and often live tweet:

    Monday:
    90210
    Secret Life of the American Teenager
    The Closer*
    Drop Dead Diva*
    Nurse Jackie
    U.S. of Tara

    Tuesday:
    The Good Wife (I too drop everything!)
    Hawthorne*
    Southland*
    Fairly Legal*

    Thursday:
    Grey's Anatomy
    Private Practice

    Sunday:
    Brothers & Sisters

    *Shows I'm looking forward to the return of

    ReplyDelete