I don't want to be perfect, just better...

Sunday, May 22, 2011

What I've Read & Am Reading May Edition

This has been a good reading month for me and its not over! Eight days until the end of May - hopefully I can finish five more books by the 31st.


What have I read this month?


A few sequels or companion books, a few new books and some non fiction. Overall I have been pleased with almost everything I've gotten from the library. 


I am trying not to purchase any new books and am dependent on the library to keep me in books. I've tried before to go on a book buying hiatus but my library disappointed me by not having any of the titles I wanted.


About ME as a reader


It is not often that I meet a book I don't like or can't find something good to say about it. 


With the possible exception of C.J. Cherryh. I have NEVER been able to finish one of her books. Around 40 pages in I am ready to pull my hair out. Around page 150, I'm ready to kill myself. After 250 pages, I'm ready to find Cherryh and bash her head in. Ask me why I keep going back? I don't know but every three or four years I think I'm going to conquer one of her books. I fail. I fail epically.


What I've Read


The Tory Widow which I loved with its blend of historical references, careful plotting and romance. The Tory Widow is set in Revolutionary era New York City. That scoundrel Jack, keep me angry throughout most of the book. Ugh, block headed men! Widow also prompted me to examine the lives of women during that time period.


One of my favorite Google Chrome apps, Your Next Read lead me from The Tory Widow to The Midwife of Blue Ridge


I finished Midwife quickly. I appreciated it more than The Tory Widow. While Widow was set in New York City, Midwife was set in Scotland,Virginia, Kentucky and other unsettled by white people portions of the country. 


Both books are historical romances that feature men who are a little slow on the uptake to realizing their true feeling. Widow and Midwife featured African american characters which I appreciated, neither glossed over the trials and tribulations of these black characters in these times.


Your Next Read has suggested that since I liked both The Tory Widow and The Midwife of Blue Ridge that I read Bound, which I picked up Thursday.


I devoured Hard Bitten, Book 4 of the Chicagoland Vampire series. I think I picked it up from the library on a Tuesday and turned it back in on a Thursday. I love these Chloe Neill books, not only is Merit a great lead. 


She is sarcastic and quick witted in the face of danger, I can only hope that I would be able to laugh in the face of danger and wield a sword while looking sexy in a pair of leather pants.


She is surrounded by a well developed supporting cast of supportive friends and family (well one family member) sorcerers, vamps, shifters, unsavory humans and other supernatural fun and one of my favorite cities - Chicago. I would so live in Chicago from May to September.



I can't wait for Book Five, Drink Deep!


I flew through both Hex Hall and its sequel, Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins. Who knew demons could be so intriguing. I stayed up late reading both because who wants to sleep when there are good books to read.

I am over 3/4th of the way through Fire by Kristen Cashore. Fire which is a "companion" book to Graceling a book I reviewed on my book blog - Black & Bookish. Graceling was one of those books that can shift your perspective on the way you view a person and natural talent. I loved Graceling. Fire is good but it doesn't offer the same steady draw that Graceling did for me. Both books are apart of the Seven Kingdom Trilogy.




I am struggling to finish Dragon's Keep. If you remember from my last book update. I said it was maybe too Young Adult for me. 


In addition to that I have become mired in the book and can't seem to get past the chapter I've been reading for the last month. I'm thinking maybe I was drawn to the cover and not really the actual story. You have to admit the cover is stunning.  


I rarely never finish a book. However I may have to just let this one go and try again later.


Other books on my bedside table are:



  • The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein
  • Covenants by Lorna Freeman
  • Witches Incorporated By K.E. Mills Book Two in Rogue Agent Series
  • Bound by Sally Gunning
  • Cornered by Brandon Massey
  • The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan



Books I'm planning on reading:



  • Unequal Protection: How Corporations Became 'People' - And How You Can Fight Back
  • The New Golden Age: The Coming Revolution against Political Corruption and Economic Chaos
  • Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
  • Wizard Squared by K.E. Mills Book 3 in Rogue Agent Series



4 comments:

  1. You've read a LOT. I'm just on my SECOND book of the year. SMH. Such a shame lol. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reading month for you. It's so hard to give up on a book, but I refuse to waste time forcing myself to finish. That time could be spent reading a good book. Think about it. You won't feel so bad to stop reading Dragon's Keep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right. I am just going to give up Dragon Keep. I can't take it anymore. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read a lot but can you believe i used to read twice as much. I had two plus hours a day to commute to work and I would spend entire time reading. 

    ReplyDelete