I don't want to be perfect, just better...

Friday, June 24, 2011

Girl Crush: Gina Torres

Even I succumb to the girl crush every now and then but one girl crush remains consistent. I have a girl crush on Gina Torres.



I first remember seeing her as Cleopatra on Xenia: Warrior Princess. I think it was maybe one or two episodes.  After Xenia, I think the next time I saw her was in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. I'll have to IMDB her to see if she worked on anything between Xenia and Hercules.  






The she was on to Cleopatra 2525. I was one of the twelve people who actually watched this show before it was cancelled. Everyone else came to it late.


The show was campy and didn't take itself seriously. The special effects were a reconstituted ball of cheese puffs and the plot had more dips than a roller coaster but I was in a rough patch in my life and I needed this kind of laughter to make me forget.




After Cleopatra 2525, I next remember her on Angel. The Buffy, the Vampire Slayer spinoff. She was either a goddess or demon - I can't remember which - I've had to dump a lot of stuff out of my head to make room for other stuff.






The next time I saw her was in Firefly. Firefly was a killed before its time space western from Buffy, Angel creator Joss Whedon. 


After Firefly, she bounced around three episodes here, one episode there, movie here.


Last night I watched the series premiere of Suits on USA. I was so excited to see Gina Torres.


Suits is about a slick corporate attorney who hires a genius with photographic memory who was kicked out of college for cheating as his associate. The show is a lot on the smoke and mirrors and less on the plot. The meeting between the two characters was one of the most unlikely things and the show careens out from there.


Gina plays the Jessica Pearson of Pearson Hardin. Which means she the boss and can take all the other characters to task. I hope to enjoy Gina a little bit longer before USA has to put this horse out to pasture. 













No comments:

Post a Comment